Forensic Laboratory Technician Positions who Process Evidence

Discuss, Discover, Learn, and Share. Feel free to share information.

Moderators: orrb, saw22

akeiter

Forensic Laboratory Technician Positions who Process Evidence

Post by akeiter »

I am trying to gather information regarding Forensic Laboratory Technician positions that specifically process evidence, photograph latents, determine suitability, generate reports, testify in court, complete proficiency testing, and train field personnel, in addition to equipment/reagent maintenance, validations/verifications, and admin duties.

It has been difficult finding any on the web because I know many of these similar positions are called a different name. Plus, I am mostly finding current job openings. I work at a Crime Lab where there is a separate position for processing/photographing the evidence (Lab Tech) and then another position for analyzing/comparing the prints (Latent Print Examiner). I am interested in finding very similar job duties along with salary ranges. If you know of an agency or work for an agency/department that splits these duties, could you please let me know. Feel free to attach the job duties and salary ranges in an email and send to akeiter@cabq.gov. I really appreciate the help! Thank you. :)
SConner

Re: Forensic Laboratory Technician Positions who Process Evidence

Post by SConner »

Try Tucson AZ and Houston TX. I believe they have people that do only what you're describing.
ekuadam

Post by ekuadam »

I work for the Houston Forensic Science Center as a processor. As soon as I get the OK from our HR department to share the salary range sheet we have I will contact you and we can talk about job duties and salary ranges.
akeiter

Post by akeiter »

Thank you SConner. I will check out Houston.

I appreciate it ekuadam! Looking forward to hearing from you.
Steve Everist
Site Admin

Post by Steve Everist »

It looks like San Diego has a position like you describe: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ ... ecs/770302
They separate out Crime Scene from their LPE positions.
Steve E.
ekuadam

Post by ekuadam »

Granted it has been 10 years or so since I have been there, but the Georgia Bureau of Investigation had it where it was separated, with processors and examiners. You may want to check with them as well.
akeiter

Post by akeiter »

I will check out GBI as well. Thank you!

Steve, unfortunately I am looking more at positions that do not go out to crime scenes to process/collect evidence. Trying to find something solely in the lab and is very closely related to how Albuquerque Police Department Crime Lab separates the processing from the analysis (they do not go out to crime scenes and process everything in house).
4n6Dave

Post by 4n6Dave »

LVMPD has a Forensic Lab Tech that does the job duties you are talking about. They also will enter prints into our AFIS system.

The Forensic Scientist position is responsible for doing the full comparisons and making any identifications or exclusions.
4n6Dave

Post by 4n6Dave »

The LVMPD has an exciting job opening in the Forensic Lab. We are hiring for a Forensic Laboratory Technologist in the Latent Print Detail.
The job posting closes 4/13/2022.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ ... nitiesJobs

Thank You,