OSAC 5 Conclusion Scale/Research

Discuss, Discover, Learn, and Share. Feel free to share information.

Moderators: orrb, saw22

Boyd Baumgartner

Re: OSAC 5 Conclusion Scale/Research

Post by Boyd Baumgartner »

tombusey wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:35 am Do you think evidence accumulates along a single psychological dimension between 'evidence for same source' and 'evidence for different sources'? If not, what do you think the second psychological dimension is?
Definitely not one dimensional. There's the subconscious 'pattern recognition hardware' from our brain regarding holistic similarity which is a balancing act of tolerance for differences based upon how much interpretation is necessary to make sense of the print. In addition though, other psychological dimensions such as affiliation (will my verifier agree?), the confirmation of internalized norms (am I following the SOP/Office culture?), the need for safety (am I making a risky decision? What happens if I'm wrong) and more cognitive dimensions like competence(am I able to come up with the right answer?) or meta cognitive dimensions (how will I explain what I did if this case goes to court?)

Obviously these psychological components vary with the level of complexity present in a comparison
Boyd Baumgartner

Post by Boyd Baumgartner »

It seems that our friends in the print world are catching up to the conversation. In a new paper titled 'Vacuous Standards', the authors put forth a not so novel concept. Namely that the OSAC Standards are too vague to be practical or testable in a way that allows them to be validated as scientific.

I am almost probably certain that there's strong support that we disagree on how to resolve the issue. (see what I did there). However, it seems these circumstances have made strange bedfellows out of the community at large.

Thoughts on the article?

2020 Morrison Neumann Geoghegan - Vacuous Standards.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brocky

Post by Brocky »

The ASB Website has just posted the Standard for Friction Ridge Examination Conclusions Document for Public Comment. Public Comment Period Closes November 16th 2020.

https://lnkd.in/ecVV3RA

Note: a specific Proposed Resolution must accompany each comment or it cannot be considered.

Please download the template for comments to documents posted for ballot, and return it to asb@aafs.org by the close of the comment period.

#forensics #forensicscience #expertwitness #latent #fingerprints #lawenforcement

Thanks
Standard for Friction Ridge Examination Conclusions - Public Comment.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.